Sunday, September 16, 2012

Shots - Mishaps & Memories...


I thought the adventure was over with the needle confusion - but I was wrong! Last night was our first official "injection night". Blessed to have a knowledgeable family member who was happy to come over and supervise. Thank goodness they did!

Turns out they were able to tell us that the sodium chloride solution we had (to mix all the meds with for the injection) was in little glass thingees that needed a special filter needle.  Basically, I could have shot myself up with microscopic pieces of glass - fun!

Stephen immediately headed to CVS - back to the one in Escondido - and worked for more than half an hour with the gal there going through a dozen or so different needles. I was calmer than I thought I'd be, but on the serious verge of panic mode as the clock ticked by... Once again, we were so incredibly blessed to have another knowledgeable family friend who had some sodium chloride in a nice, safe, rubber-topped bottle that worked with the needles we had. After a quick run to Escondido and back, we were ready to go!

(By the way, the gal at CVS did finally find a filter needle for us.) :0)

Mixing the vials is a LOT harder than I thought it'd be. Here's the basic process:
1. Take first type of syringe/needle and fill it up with 1cc of sodium chloride (salt water basically).
2. Wipe off tops of fertility drug bottles with alcohol swab.
3. Insert needle into first vial, push out the liquid, and gently swirl to dissolve the tablet.
4. Use needle to suck out the liquid with the medicine in it.
5. Insert same needle into next vial, and repeat. (There are 5 total vials for my protocol.)
6. Now that the syringe has all the meds ready, twist of needle and insert a smaller (yay!) needle for the actual injection.
7. Swab area near belly button, and pinch the fat (I have plenty for this part).
8. Push in needle, dispense meds.
9. Put needles in sharps container.
10. Breathe a sigh of relief.
11. Repeat for 10 days. (And add another needle with a different drug at some point.)

We'd originally decided to do the shots around 7pm, but last night's craziness had us doing it at about 8:45. So that is the official time now!

Even though not much went as planned, and I had to fight to keep myself from having a panic attack, I am continually amazed over and grateful for God's provision. It didn't go as smoothly as I'd hoped, but it gave me the opportunity to see friends and family rally around me and Stephen, and I am overwhelmed by gratitude for their love and presence in our life. :0)

BTW - Stephen gave me his first shot tonight. I am sooooooooooooooooo proud of how seriously and carefully he did the WHOLE process all by himself. Of course, it literally took more than 10 tries to get the needle in because I'd keep freaking out and laughing. LOL  (It was a little scary watching him come at me, and the needle suddenly looked HUGE!) But we did it - yay!

2 days down, about 8 to go...

2 comments:

  1. If anything, this is preparing you for children. Nothing is absolutely in your control and you have to roll with the punches sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear Jen. God is good all the time!
    Karin

    ReplyDelete