Friday, September 14, 2012

Holding my breath...

Had quite a moment of shock today! Disclaimer - everything turned out okay. :0)

(The morning started off so wonderfully - Stephen and I both took the day off so that our fertility appointment would go smoothly and we could enjoy some much-needed time together.  I got surprised by breakfast in bed, Chick-fila, yum!). :0)

The shock I am referring to came when the nurse at the SDFC (San Diego Fertility Center) found not one, but TWO cysts on my ovaries! (One on each side.) I'd almost made a joke right beforehand about how "funny" it would be for me to go through so much the past three years, and never have even a hint of a cyst, only for one to pop up on the day of my baseline ultrasound. Uh, yeah... "ha ha". NOT.

When she said she found one, I couldn't believe it. In all the poking, prodding, ultrasounds, etc I'd never been told I had any - so I still can't figure out where these two came from and why now. I immediately teared up, because she explained that this could cause a delay in the cycle. Even through it wouldn't be an unreasonable amount of time, I'd had my heart and mind completely sold out and excited and my calendar already had all my dates decided and ready.

As soon as she left the room I completely lost it. The hubby was so wonderful and tried his best to comfort me. The rest of the staff kept trying to assure me to not panic until they'd run my lab work and knew if the cysts were producing estrogen, (which is when they'd have to delay - if they weren't I could proceed). Apparently cysts are very "normal". I still fell into the familiar "zombie coping mode" for the remainder of the appointment and injection training, and fought against fears - trying to trust that God knew what He was doing.

Here is a picture of the ultrasound, showing one of the cysts. (It's the black circular thingee.):

Here's a picture of the follicles that are currently developing on one side. Notice the mouse arrow pointing at them. (There are about 4 - the smaller black circular thingees.)  Over the next week and a half or so I shall have lots of big ones!

So grateful to have a good husband who'd planned to take me to Sea World after the appointment. (We have passes.) We ate a good lunch and then spent some nice time walking around in an un-crowded place. I had a blast at the animal encounter place I'd never seen before. Saw a real-life sloth! It was booking it around the cage. I thought that sloths were supposed to be slow... Stephen thought he was pretty cute.





I got a picture with a funny little alligator and saw my first beaver. That was a cool experience.
(And this was just a funny picture.)


After a walk through the penguins (one of my faves - they are hilarious), I was still on pins and needles waiting for the phone call that finally came around 3pm. The nurse asked how I was doing and I said, "Well, that depends on what you are about to tell me!".  That's when I found out that my bloodwork had come back perfect and I was cleared to continue the process.  WOOOOOHOOOO!  I started crying a happy cry again while on the phone, and couldn't thank her enough.

We finished our day at Sea World with two consecutive rides on the new Manta rollercoaster, one in the very front and one in the very back. (Note: if you ever go on it make sure to keep yourself looking straight ahead and your head pushed back against the seat or you'll need a chiropractor.)

I'm feeling so much lighter, and happier than ever, and I can't wait to get poked with a needle tomorrow night! LOL. 

1 comment:

  1. Remember, Stephen needs to kiss it and make the area feel better ;)

    Also note, may this be the last roller coaster you ride for a long time....

    ReplyDelete